Do you know how to load USGS topo maps into Android OsmAnd~

Old October 6th 15, 12:45 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mitch Kaufmann

Default Do you know how to load USGS topo maps into Android OsmAnd~

I asked for too much in my previous thread, so I just want to ask ONE
question in this thread.

Q: Do you know how to load offline USGS topo maps into OsmAnd~ (v.1.8.3)?

All I need is three things on my mobile device for backcountry hikes:
1. Offline USGS topo maps
2. Ability to SAVE tracks (best if old tracks & new tracks coexist)
3. Ability to FOLLOW a track (or guide to a point), preferably by voice

While I absolutely love the idea of OSM maps, unfortunatley, if you've
ever done backcountry hiking, you'll realize, instantly, that they're not
there yet (they'll get there - they're just not anywhere close yet to
even the older 1980's USGS level of topographic detail).

Someone kindly suggested that OsmAnd~ could load USGS top maps for offline
use.

I tried the OsmAnd~ "Manage map files" button, and ran a search for "USGS"
and for "topo" maps, but none showed up.

Q: Do you know how to load offline USGS topo maps into Android OsmAnd~?

Old October 6th 15, 05:49 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Poutnik[_2_]

Dne 06/10/2015 v 02:45 Mitch Kaufmann napsal(a):
[...]

Is there a way to download the maps in suitable format by alternative
way and than to use it in OSMAnd or Locus ?
e.g. SQLite format ?

I highly suggest dedicated OSMAnd support Google group
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/osmand

--
Poutnik ( the Czech word for a wanderer )

Knowledge makes great men humble, but small men arrogant.
Old October 6th 15, 06:32 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mitch Kaufmann

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 07:49:42 +0200, Poutnik wrote:

Is there a way to download the maps in suitable format by alternative
way and than to use it in OSMAnd or Locus ?
e.g. SQLite format ?

I think I'll give up, for now, on testing BRouter and OsmAnd~, since your
other suggestion, Locus Maps Free seems to be more functional than it at
first appeared.

Locus Map Free, by Asamm Software, s.r.o.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android.locus

So far, Local Maps Free:
1. Loads USGS topographic maps (I think vector & raster, but I'm not sure)
2. It seems to automatically cache map tiles for offline use
3. It seems to add a track (the button is called "add new route &
measure").
4. It appears to be able to save a desired waypoint and record tracks
5. It seems to have something it calls "navigation" & something else it
calls "guidance" to follow tracks (I think that's what they do).
a) NAVIGATION: Navigation by voice commands that are rendered according
to the shape of the track.
b) GUIDANCE: Guidance along the track with optional sound and screen
alerts of direction changes (optionally, guide reversely [sic]).

So, I think Locus Maps Free is a winner that is worth spending the time
to learn how to use.

It appears to have the one feature the other free map apps lack, which is
the ability to draw your own track and then follow that track with voice
guidance (I have to test this though, to ensure it actually works).

The rest of its features are already in other Android based freeware, so,
they are nothing to write home about.

Old October 6th 15, 07:21 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mitch Kaufmann

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 14:32:17 -0400, Mitch Kaufmann wrote:

a) NAVIGATION: Navigation by voice commands that are rendered according
to the shape of the track.
b) GUIDANCE: Guidance along the track with optional sound and screen
alerts of direction changes (optionally, guide reversely [sic]).

BTW, I can't get these two to do anything yet in Locus Maps Free:
[]Navigation
[]Guidance
http://i.imgur.com/kahalct.jpg

Can someone explain the basics of how "guidance" differs from
"navigation" when we're talking hiking where there are no trails?

There are no street names for the software to speak, so, how does it
"guide" or "navigate" me along a given route?

Old October 6th 15, 07:30 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mitch Kaufmann

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 21:09:42 +0200, Poutnik wrote:

Brouter usage makes no sense for backcountry offroad hiking,
it makes routingvia roas/trak/path network of OSM maps data.

Thanks Poutnik for explaining that.
I just deleted BRouter because, I agree, if all it uses is OSM, then it's
not very useful for offroad offtrail backcountry style hiking.

The only maps that make sense are USGS topo maps, at least in the USA
(because the OSM maps just don't yet have anywhere near enough detail).

Locus need some effort to discover all its strength.

Yes. This is very true!

I think Locus Map Free will do everything I need.

The most important things are to DRAW a route on a USGS topo map or
Google Satellite Map on the desktop.

I already had "Viewranger" on the mobile device which draws a route on an
OSM trail map, which is really no good (due to the lack of detail in OSM
maps).

Thanks to you, I now have Locus Maps Free on the mobile device, which
draws a route on a USGS topo map (and apparently voice "guides" or
"navigates" along that route).
http://i.imgur.com/kahalct.jpg

About the only thing I need to add is the ability to draw that route on
the big screen desktop, preferably where Google Satellite Maps are
available; but that's a separate specific question.

Old October 6th 15, 07:34 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mitch Kaufmann

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 15:30:04 -0400, Mitch Kaufmann wrote:

Thanks to you, I now have Locus Maps Free on the mobile device, which
draws a route on a USGS topo map (and apparently voice "guides" or
"navigates" along that route).
http://i.imgur.com/kahalct.jpg

One problem is that the Locus Map Free on Android is apparently "limited"
in some ways when it comes to "track recording" and "navigation".

Here, it says both track recording & navigation are "limited":
http://www.locusmap.eu/download/

But it doesn't say *how* it's limited, so I will discover that on my own:
http://i57.tinypic.com/2s7b7rq.jpg

Old October 7th 15, 04:55 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mitch Kaufmann

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 22:42:06 +0200, Poutnik wrote:

In my understanding is guidence point to point routing,
usable for backcountry hiking,
while navigation is road routing with 3rd party routing services (
including Brouter for biking )

Thank you again Poutnik for your excellent pointers.
The manual you pointed to is amazingly well written (for such software).

I see that "Guidance" is what I need for off-trail backwoods routing:

"Guidance along a route is actually guidance to a chain of trackpoints.
You are guided to the first point of the route, then to the second etc.
It is useful e.g. for sailing, sea-kayaking, flying or crosscountry
hiking when there are no roads for turn-by-turn navigation."

The bad thing is that the guidance doesn't seem to "talk"; but it does
give nice indicators, such as:
- Distance to target
- Time to target
- Time of arrival
- Name of next waypoint
- Distance to next waypoint
- Time to next waypoint
- Altitude
- Speed

So, it looks like your suggested software, Locus Maps Free, does
everything that I needed.
a. Draws off-trail routes on an offline USGS topographic map
b. Provides "guidance" along that pre-defined off-trail route

The *only* thing left is to create the routes using a combination of
Google Earth satellite and USGS topographic views on the desktop, simply
because a satellite view allows me to aim for a big oak tree, or to avoid
chaparral, or to see a clearing and aim for that clearing, etc.
Old October 7th 15, 06:51 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Bill Bradshaw[_2_]

This is a windows program for performing file format conversions.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/
--
Bill

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

orldhosting.com...

Old October 7th 15, 10:34 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mitch Kaufmann

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 10:51:45 -0800, Bill Bradshaw wrote:

This is a windows program for performing file format conversions.
http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Thanks Bill for that suggestion of GPSBabel.

Since Google Earth is needed for simultaneous terrain/satellite off-road
paths, yet, since Google Earth does not save as GPX, I downloaded the
Linux and Windows GPSBabel versions to convert Google Earth KML/KMZ files
to GPX for use on my Android mobile device.

Given that, here are two solutions that worked, for me, where my
particular problem was unintuitively a bit harder than most because
"routes" wouldn't work, because there are no roads involved, and, because
the "paths" needed to be precisely matched to trees, clearings, and
topography.

The simplest all-mobile solution that worked turned out to be:
a) Install Locus Maps Free on Android
b) Download free USGS topographic maps of interest into Locus Maps Free
c) Create the desired path on Locus Maps Free
d) Follow that path on the ground with point-to-point audible/visible
"Guidance" in Locus Maps Free (without cellular signal)

The far better (more precise) desktop/mobile solution was:
a) Simultaneous topography coupled with satellite imagery in Google Earth
b) Create a path in Google Earth & output as KML/KMZ (GPX is not allowed)
c) Optionally, convert the KML to GPX with gpsBabel freeware
d) Slide (or email) the resulting KML or KMZ or GPX files to Android
e) Install Locus Maps Free on Android
f) Download free USGS topographic maps of interest into Locus Maps Free
g) Load the newly created KML/KMZ/GPX files into Locus Maps Free
h) Follow that path on the ground with point-to-point audible/visible
"Guidance" in Locus Maps Free (without cellular signal)

Here is a recap of just some of the steps involved in the solution:
TO CREATE PATHS AND CONVERT TO ROUTES FOR OFFTRAIL GPS GUIDANCE:
1. Draw the desired path in Google Earth (using topo & satellite maps):
http://johnsantic.com/maps/trail_map_4.html

2. Right click on the path in the "Places" sidebar then save as
either KML & KMZ files.
http://cycleseven.org/creating-a-gps...n-google-earth

3. Just in case I needed it, I converted the KML file to GPX
using GPSBabel freewa
http://www.gpsbabel.org/

4. Copy those files over to your mobile device:
Note: In my case, since the mobile device mounts as a USB device
with MTP, I simply plugged in the mobile device to my desktop, which
automatically mounted the mobile device with two mount points
"Phone" & "Card".

Using the desktop file manager, I slid the KML/KMZ/GPX files over to:
SAMSUNG Android SGH T999/Phone/Download/test1_kml.kml
SAMSUNG Android SGH T999/Phone/Download/test1_kmz.kmz
SAMSUNG Android SGH T999/Phone/Download/test1_gpx.gpx

5. Start Locus Maps Free & load in those files:
[Locus Maps Free]Menu More Import data
[LOCAL FILE]/STORAGE/EMULATED/0/DOWNLOAD/test1_kml.kml
[LOCAL FILE]/STORAGE/EMULATED/0/DOWNLOAD/test1_kmz.kmz
[LOCAL FILE]/STORAGE/EMULATED/0/DOWNLOAD/test1_gpx.gpx

Note: All three worked just fine.

TO VIEW GPS TRACKS IN GOOGLE EARTH (TERRAIN/TOPO):
1. To view your KML file in Google Earth satellite view:
Start Google Earth:
GoogleEarth: File Open MyTrack.kml
http://i.imgur.com/PdNIe7T.jpg

You can tilt the view so that you can better see heights:
http://i.imgur.com/dm5HzQ6.jpg

2. To better see the elevation lines, obtain USA USGS topographic maps:
Point your web browser to http://www.earthpoint.us/TopoMap.aspx
Press the "View on Google Earth" button
This will Download USGS topo maps named "EarthPointTopoMap_012701.kml"

3. Load the USA USGS topographic map into Google Earth:
GoogleEarth: File Open EarthPointTopoMap_012701.kml
GoogleEarth: View Sidebar

4. Select the Earth Point Topo Map USGS Quandrangles:
GoogleEarth: Places Earth Point Topo Map USGS Quadrangles

5. Load your KML track which will now topographically show on GE:
GoogleEarth: File Open MyTrack.kml
You will see your tracks on a topographic map.
http://i.imgur.com/Y43qPId.jpg

You can tilt this topo map, but I always have issues with tilt.

6. If you loaded a KMZ file, you can save as KML for portability:
GoogleEarth: File Open MyTrack.kmz
GoogleEarth: File Save Save Place As MyTrack.kml

7. To return to satellite view, uncheck what you checked above:
GoogleEarth: View Sidebar
GoogleEarth: Places Earth Point Topo Map USGS Quadrangles

TO VIEW GPS TRACKS IN A GOOGLE MAPS BROWSER (TERRAIN/TOPO):
a. Go to https://www.google.com/mymaps on any web browser.
b. Click on "Create a new map" (mandatory google signin).
c. If necessary, register a google account name (it has to be done).
d. Once signed in, you will see "Untitled map" & "Untitled layer"
at top left.
e. Press the "Import" link below "Untitled layer" at top left.
f. Drag or select the desired CSV, XLSX, KML, KMZ or GPX track file.
g. Your hiking track will show up in the browser in the "Base" Google Map.
http://i.imgur.com/4JHmuwv.jpg
h. Change the Base map to "Terrain" in the bottom of the top-left box.
i. That same track will show up in the browser in the "Terrain"
Google Map.
http://i.imgur.com/0ysdaGi.jpg
Unfortunately when you zoom in to about a half mile, terrain
goes blurry.
k. To export the track as a KML, locate the Export to KML button.
j. To share this track with others, click on "Share" in the top left box.