A Satellite Navigation and Global Positioing Systems forum. Sat Nav Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Sat Nav Banter forum » GPS and Sat Nav Newsgroups » sci.geo.satellite-nav (Global Satellite Navigation)
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

sci.geo.satellite-nav (Global Satellite Navigation) (sci.geo.satellite-nav) Discussion of global navigation satellite systems (GNSS). Topics include the technical aspects of GNSS operation, user experiences in the use of GNSS, information regarding GNSS products and discussion of GNSS policy (such as GPS selective availability).

What €250 buys in a GPS these days



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 21st 15, 04:34 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Alan Browne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,339
Default What €250 buys in a GPS these days


A droolworthy spec.

http://www.aaronia-shop.com/products...lerometer.html

- GPS (66 channels; no indication of SBAS, but 1.8m accuracy claimed -
if based on the LS20031 receiver, then it would have SBAS).

- 3D compass (2° precision claimed; accuracy not specified)

- 3D accelerometer with 3 mg resolution (accuracy not specified)

- 3D Gyro/tilt sensor. Claims sensitivity (?) of 14 LSB's per second.

- Altimeter/pressure sensor with altitude resolution of 20 cm (accuracy
not spec'd.

- User spec'd recording rate up to 35 Hz.

- 88 g

- Record up to 2 GB to µSD (hours to months depending on data selection
and rate).

- Real time output over USB (Windows, OS X, Linux)

- 650 mAh battery (LiPo)

  #2  
Old November 21st 15, 10:13 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Terje Mathisen[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default What €250 buys in a GPS these days

Alan Browne wrote:

A droolworthy spec.


It did not specify any multi-band capability, but I would guess it uses
a modern chipset that supports GPS+Glonass+Galileo++?

http://www.aaronia-shop.com/products...lerometer.html


- GPS (66 channels; no indication of SBAS, but 1.8m accuracy claimed -
if based on the LS20031 receiver, then it would have SBAS).

- 3D compass (2° precision claimed; accuracy not specified)

- 3D accelerometer with 3 mg resolution (accuracy not specified)

- 3D Gyro/tilt sensor. Claims sensitivity (?) of 14 LSB's per second.

- Altimeter/pressure sensor with altitude resolution of 20 cm (accuracy
not spec'd.

- User spec'd recording rate up to 35 Hz.

- 88 g

- Record up to 2 GB to µSD (hours to months depending on data selection
and rate).

- Real time output over USB (Windows, OS X, Linux)


Bluetooth output is missing. :-(

This is required in order to place the logger on top of one's hat or
similar to give the antenna an optimal position.

Terje

- 650 mAh battery (LiPo)



--
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
"almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"
  #3  
Old November 21st 15, 10:59 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Alan Browne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,339
Default What €250 buys in a GPS these days

On 2015-11-21 17:13, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

A droolworthy spec.


It did not specify any multi-band capability, but I would guess it uses
a modern chipset that supports GPS+Glonass+Galileo++?


Not stated. And the chipset that I'm guessing it uses is GPS/SBAS only.


http://www.aaronia-shop.com/products...lerometer.html



- GPS (66 channels; no indication of SBAS, but 1.8m accuracy claimed -
if based on the LS20031 receiver, then it would have SBAS).

- 3D compass (2° precision claimed; accuracy not specified)

- 3D accelerometer with 3 mg resolution (accuracy not specified)

- 3D Gyro/tilt sensor. Claims sensitivity (?) of 14 LSB's per second.

- Altimeter/pressure sensor with altitude resolution of 20 cm (accuracy
not spec'd.

- User spec'd recording rate up to 35 Hz.

- 88 g

- Record up to 2 GB to µSD (hours to months depending on data selection
and rate).

- Real time output over USB (Windows, OS X, Linux)


Bluetooth output is missing. :-(

This is required in order to place the logger on top of one's hat or
similar to give the antenna an optimal position.


I often put my recorder (GPS) under my hat when in the woods. You could
do the same with this.



Terje

- 650 mAh battery (LiPo)




  #4  
Old November 22nd 15, 09:43 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Terje Mathisen[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default What €250 buys in a GPS these days

Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-11-21 17:13, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

A droolworthy spec.


It did not specify any multi-band capability, but I would guess it uses
a modern chipset that supports GPS+Glonass+Galileo++?


Not stated. And the chipset that I'm guessing it uses is GPS/SBAS only.


That reduces tracking accuracy quite significantly, particularly under
(wet) forest canopy.

[snip]
- Real time output over USB (Windows, OS X, Linux)


Bluetooth output is missing. :-(

This is required in order to place the logger on top of one's hat or
similar to give the antenna an optimal position.


I often put my recorder (GPS) under my hat when in the woods. You could
do the same with this.


Not possible if you also have to have an USB cable, i.e. my mapping
tablet needs to be able to turn around freely.

Terje


--
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
"almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"
  #5  
Old November 22nd 15, 02:06 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Alan Browne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,339
Default What €250 buys in a GPS these days

On 2015-11-22 04:43, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-11-21 17:13, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

A droolworthy spec.

It did not specify any multi-band capability, but I would guess it uses
a modern chipset that supports GPS+Glonass+Galileo++?


Not stated. And the chipset that I'm guessing it uses is GPS/SBAS only.


That reduces tracking accuracy quite significantly, particularly under
(wet) forest canopy.


Contact the manufacturer and tell them. It shouldn't be too big a deal
for them to update their chipset.


[snip]
- Real time output over USB (Windows, OS X, Linux)

Bluetooth output is missing. :-(

This is required in order to place the logger on top of one's hat or
similar to give the antenna an optimal position.


I often put my recorder (GPS) under my hat when in the woods. You could
do the same with this.


Not possible if you also have to have an USB cable, i.e. my mapping
tablet needs to be able to turn around freely.


You don't need the tablet to record a track. Better to be light in the
woods and heavy on the processing back home.

Othewise find a thin, very light/flexible USB cable.

  #6  
Old November 23rd 15, 10:00 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Terje Mathisen[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default What €250 buys in a GPS these days

Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-11-22 04:43, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Not possible if you also have to have an USB cable, i.e. my mapping
tablet needs to be able to turn around freely.


You don't need the tablet to record a track. Better to be light in the
woods and heavy on the processing back home.

Othewise find a thin, very light/flexible USB cable.


The idea is to do the mapping on location! I have lots of gps recorders,
I usually carry at least 3 on any trip I make. :-)

Terje

--
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
"almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"
  #7  
Old November 23rd 15, 10:29 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Alan Browne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,339
Default What €250 buys in a GPS these days

On 2015-11-23 05:00, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-11-22 04:43, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Not possible if you also have to have an USB cable, i.e. my mapping
tablet needs to be able to turn around freely.


You don't need the tablet to record a track. Better to be light in the
woods and heavy on the processing back home.

Othewise find a thin, very light/flexible USB cable.


The idea is to do the mapping on location! I have lots of gps recorders,
I usually carry at least 3 on any trip I make. :-)



So, like I said, find a light, thin flexible USB cable. No big deal.
Or wait for the bluetooth version (that might also have other sat systems).

  #8  
Old November 24th 15, 07:55 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Terje Mathisen[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default What €250 buys in a GPS these days

Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-11-23 05:00, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-11-22 04:43, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Not possible if you also have to have an USB cable, i.e. my mapping
tablet needs to be able to turn around freely.

You don't need the tablet to record a track. Better to be light in the
woods and heavy on the processing back home.

Othewise find a thin, very light/flexible USB cable.


The idea is to do the mapping on location! I have lots of gps recorders,
I usually carry at least 3 on any trip I make. :-)



So, like I said, find a light, thin flexible USB cable. No big deal. Or
wait for the bluetooth version (that might also have other sat systems).

Alan, why do you suppose that I (and many other orienteering mappers)
haven't already tried this?

Any such cable can and will get twisted as you turn the tablet around,
it can and will snag on branches unless you thread the cable on the
inside of your jacket and behind your ear, at which point it becomes
very hard to momentarily leave the tablet on top of a boulder or tree stump.

I.e. bluetooth (or some other wireless connection) is a requirement. :-)

Terje

--
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
"almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"
  #9  
Old November 25th 15, 12:26 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Alan Browne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,339
Default What €250 buys in a GPS these days

On 2015-11-24 02:55, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-11-23 05:00, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-11-22 04:43, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Not possible if you also have to have an USB cable, i.e. my mapping
tablet needs to be able to turn around freely.

You don't need the tablet to record a track. Better to be light in the
woods and heavy on the processing back home.

Othewise find a thin, very light/flexible USB cable.

The idea is to do the mapping on location! I have lots of gps recorders,
I usually carry at least 3 on any trip I make. :-)



So, like I said, find a light, thin flexible USB cable. No big deal. Or
wait for the bluetooth version (that might also have other sat systems).

Alan, why do you suppose that I (and many other orienteering mappers)
haven't already tried this?


I really don't care what you do. If you want "that" GPS then "that" is
a constraint. I never told you you must, absolutely get that GPS.

Have fun. Haven't been orienteering in nearly 2 years. New business
takes away all the fun.



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Sat Nav Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.