Directions 2016: GPS — dedicated to excellence

Old December 29th 15, 06:43 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default Directions 2016: GPS — dedicated to excellence

Directions 2016: GPS dedicated to excellence
http://gpsworld.com/directions-2016-...to-excellence/

The year 2015 was an exciting one to assume leadership of the Global
Positioning Systems Directorate. Ive witnessed the men and women of
our team accomplish some amazing things, across all of our efforts to
modernize the constellation, and would like to take a moment to share
our progress over the past year and set the vision for 2016 as we
remain dedicated to excellence.

The past year has been another outstanding one in terms of delivering
capability on-orbit. Weve continued the pace from last year, placing
another three new satellites into space, most recently including the
launch of our 11th GPS IIF satellite, built by Boeing. This launch
marks the 18th satellite to broadcast the Military Code (M-code) and
second civil signals (L2C). Each time the dedicated professionals
from government and industry, representing many, many organizations,
have come together to show the world the gold standard.

GPS III. In the development of our next generation of satellites, the
GPS team continues to make progress. In September, we completed
flight qualification of the navigation payload and its software
many of you recall that this area has been a challenge for us over
the years, and I wanted to share this success. Additionally, the
first GPS III satellite entered into thermal vacuum testing at prime
contractor Lockheed Martins facility in Waterton, Colorado, in
October.