Linux CLI program to output simple maps

Old March 21st 16, 09:25 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Emanuel Berg

Default Linux CLI program to output simple maps

I'm writing an article on the Kon-Tiki expedition.
The article will look much like this [1] earlier
article I did. It is in Swedish, but you get the
picture. It is not scientific or anything and what
I need is a couple of simple but clear maps: Peru,
Polynesia, and so.

I'm a CLI, LaTeX, gnuplot etc. user so it would be
cool to have a program to produce simple maps, and not
just for this article God willing.

I've heard about and installed gmt (Generic Mapping
Tools) for my Debian which seems to be exactly what
I need, but I failed to find a simple example to
execute, and the examples I did find I couldn't
execute, as I only found the scripts, not the
data files!

Even tho probably gmt is great I'm not dead set on
using that in particular.

What I would like to to is, for example, one puts in
a file that one wants a black and white PNG not bigger
than some size, showing the Pacific Ocean including
Hawaii and Easter Island, and then the program outputs
the map.

TIA

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/artic...ex/everest.pdf

- so far: 14 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 22nd 16, 03:51 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2016-03-21 18:25, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

Screen shot from Google Maps not good enough? You can de-saturate it in
Photoshop or Gimp or whatever.

--
"But I am somehow extraordinarily lucky, for a guy with ****ty luck."
..Harrison Ford, Rolling Stone - 2015-12-02
Old March 23rd 16, 04:40 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Emanuel Berg

Alan Browne
writes:

Screen shot from Google Maps not good enough?
You can de-saturate it in Photoshop or Gimp
or whatever.

It is good enough in terms of quality but not the
enjoyment of work. I know it is possible to do the way
I do it, so I'm gonna keep looking...

- so far: 18 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 24th 16, 02:59 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
isw

In article ,
Emanuel Berg wrote:

Alan Browne
writes:

Screen shot from Google Maps not good enough?
You can de-saturate it in Photoshop or Gimp
or whatever.

It is good enough in terms of quality but not the
enjoyment of work. I know it is possible to do the way
I do it, so I'm gonna keep looking...

You can get vector representations of just about any place on earth from
Open Street Map.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=5/51.500/-0.100

You'll have to do some work to figure out how to get what you need, but
it's probably the best open-source map data that's available.

Isaac
Old March 24th 16, 06:04 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Emanuel Berg

isw writes:

You can get vector representations of just about any
place on earth from Open Street Map.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=5/51.500/-0.100

You'll have to do some work to figure out how to get
what you need, but it's probably the best
open-source map data that's available.

I found the following packs by searching for
"openstreetmap":

p openstreetmap-carto - Setup for standard OpenStreetMap Mapnik styl
p openstreetmap-carto-common - standard OpenStreetMap Mapnik stylesheet
i openstreetmap-client - OpenStreetMap client for the GNOME Desktop
p openstreetmap-map-icons-classic - Collection of map icons (classic set)
p openstreetmap-map-icons-scalable - Collection of map icons (scalable set)
p openstreetmap-map-icons-square - Collection of map icons (square set)

openstreetmap-client is all GUI. Might as well use
Google Earth.

Or do you mean I should use the data with GMT?

- so far: 19 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 24th 16, 08:37 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Emanuel Berg

I did it!

Here is the command to get Fatu Hiva!

gmt pscoast -R-138.75/-138.55/-10.6/-10.4 -JM6i -Pc \
-Ba0.33/a0.33/WeSn -S0/100/200 -Ggray -Dh \
-W0.1 fatu-hiva.ps

The result (the PNG after convert(1)):

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/fatu-hiva.png
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/fatu-hiva.ps

Still, not much of a map tho... I'll have to figure
out how to add the villages... and mountains... and
moais... and aku-akus!

But it is possible, just like I knew that it would be!

- so far: 19 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 26th 16, 01:05 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2016-03-24 17:37, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I did it!

Here is the command to get Fatu Hiva!

gmt pscoast -R-138.75/-138.55/-10.6/-10.4 -JM6i -Pc \
-Ba0.33/a0.33/WeSn -S0/100/200 -Ggray -Dh \
-W0.1 fatu-hiva.ps

The result (the PNG after convert(1)):

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/fatu-hiva.png
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/fatu-hiva.ps

Still, not much of a map tho... I'll have to figure
out how to add the villages... and mountains... and
moais... and aku-akus!

But it is possible, just like I knew that it would be!

,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Is much better.

as is

https://www.openstreetmap.org/direct...4972/-138.6631

Much easier to use what others have done than to start from scratch.

Old March 26th 16, 05:54 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Emanuel Berg

Alan Browne
writes:

The result (the PNG after convert(1)):
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/fatu-hiva.png
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/fatu-hiva.ps
Still, not much of a map tho... I'll have to figure
out how to add the villages... and mountains... and
moais... and aku-akus! But it is possible, just
like I knew that it would be!

,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Is much better.

as is

https://www.openstreetmap.org/direct...4972/-138.6631

Day one is not about comparing quality to others who
have spent years on their work.

Day one is getting your foot thru the door to see if
you can bend it open. If you can, with time and very
enjoyable effort, you will be able to open the door,
*any* door, with as little effort and as much elegance
as anyone else. At that point you'll be at a position
of power and options.

That's the whole thing. Because day one using Emacs
and Gnus a kid can do more and better with Word and
his Hotmail account!

I'm now printing the GMT manual which is several
hundred pages long. There is an endless, uh, "world"
to rediscover!

Much easier to use what others have done than to
start from scratch.

Indeed, the short-ears also thought it was much easier
to wait on their backs on the beach for the coconuts
to fall down, and they had no understanding whatsoever
of the long-ears with their relentless work on them
silly stone statues...

- so far: 19 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 26th 16, 08:44 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2016-03-26 14:54, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Alan Browne
writes:

The result (the PNG after convert(1)):
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/fatu-hiva.png
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/fatu-hiva.ps
Still, not much of a map tho... I'll have to figure
out how to add the villages... and mountains... and
moais... and aku-akus! But it is possible, just
like I knew that it would be!

,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Is much better.

as is

https://www.openstreetmap.org/direct...4972/-138.6631

Day one is not about comparing quality to others who
have spent years on their work.

One doesn't waste time on things solved (and usually better so) by others.

Day one is getting your foot thru the door to see if

loopy fantasy talk deleted

You're wasting your time. I have nothing against using or making my own
tools. Indeed I write all sorts of s/w for my needs (personal and
business), but only because it is unique to my needs. I don't re-invent
what has already been done. That is wasteful.

Old March 27th 16, 01:17 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Richard Owlett[_3_]

On 3/26/2016 4:44 PM, Alan Browne who may wish to have
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." attributed
On 2016-03-26 14:54, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Alan Browne
writes:

The result (the PNG after convert(1)):
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/fatu-hiva.png
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/fatu-hiva.ps
Still, not much of a map tho... I'll have to figure
out how to add the villages... and mountains... and
moais... and aku-akus! But it is possible, just
like I knew that it would be!

,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Is much better.

as is

https://www.openstreetmap.org/direct...4972/-138.6631

Day one is not about comparing quality to others who
have spent years on their work.

One doesn't waste time on things solved (and usually better so)
by others.

But has the *RELEVANT* problem been solved?
I would think that it can be taken as FACT that neither Google
nor OSM were found satisfactory by Mr. Berg. This interpretation
is supported by him expending time and effort pursuing
suggestions others have made.

I suspect the phrasing of his chosen subject line, "Linux CLI
program to output simple maps" is significant. I find the use of
"CLI" and "simple" significant.

Google and OSM interfaces are as about as Gooey as they come (pun
intended
I don't what metric he has in mind for "simple".

When he got no response on a Linux group, I suggested posting
here as likely having more people interested in cartography, a
field for which my extensive knowledge approaches the null set.

I didn't refer him to the plethora of "how to ask a question"
sites as I couldn't think of relevant questions he should be
answering.

I think there are two questions we should ask him.
1. Why did he explicitly ask foe a "CLI program"?
2. The possibly more subtle question is "What does simple mean TO
HIM?"

Day one is getting your foot thru the door to see if

loopy fantasy talk deleted

You're wasting your time. I have nothing against using or making
my own tools. Indeed I write all sorts of s/w for my needs
(personal and business), but only because it is unique to my
needs. I don't re-invent what has already been done. That is
wasteful.

Careful, I suspect you just agreed with him, motivation wise